I broke my aversion to T.V, and watched Oprah recently…yes…I said it. I was actually prompted to check out an episode that my sis-in-law dvr’d and thought I would find interesting. Yes that was an attempt to qualify my actions.
I guess there’s always a bit of shame when you sense that your man card may be revoked. Plus maybe I’m just a lil over sensitive after being at a wedding on superbowl sunday(or maybe..dare I say…I’m just not that into football…in a country where we just had our highest viewing superbowl ever.)
Dan brought up some interesting findings that I won’t get into here. He did, however, end the show by stating, that if happiness was a cake, it would comprise of these things:
- A good job(He says $75,000 does the trick)
- Marrying the right person
- Engaging work
- Most importantly…where you live.
A pretty interesting formula. From the reviews, the book goes into more detail on each of these points.
I know everyone seems to have a formula for happiness…but…
My gut tells me, that this mixture of ideals definitley reveals some core aspects to what makes people smile.
- you’re making enough to comfortably take care of your food, clothing, shelter, and transportation…
- you’re in a good relationship…
- your work connects to who you truly are
- you’re growing in spiritual/moral characteristics that make you a more selfless person…
- you live in a city or town that fosters relationships and community…
Then I could see how some could be significantly “happier” than those who weren’t privileged to have these mix of circumstances.
What I find interesting…Is that…the book seems to go past mere gut instincts, and talk numbers. It just may be a book I add to my reading list.
What do you think? What’s your formula for happiness?